[bookshare-discuss] Book submitted: Mutation by Robin Cook

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 00:15:42 -0500

This is a "excellent" copy to replace the "fair" one in the collection.

Mutation
By Robin Cook.

It has been read thoroughly and i fixed all the errors I found as I went
along.  I removed all duplicate pages as well.  I provided a synopsis as
there wasn't one for the fair submission as well as a long synopsis, so am
hoping the validator notes this so they get added to the final book file.

Besides that easy validation 371 pages.
Oh, can you run the long synopsis through a Spell check, I thought I fixed
all the usual suspects, but perhaps something slipped through it is late.
From the Book Jacket:
He sought to create the son of his dreams-and invented a nightmare. Robin
Cook's new techno-medical thriller probes every father's greatest fear.
Drawing on a horror theme as old as Frankenstein, as fresh as tomorrow's
headlines, Mutation is a chilling cautionary tale of the perils of genetic
engineering.
When o.b.g.y.n. and biomolecular researcher Dr. Victor Frank learns of his
wife's infertility, he initiates a bold-and dangerous-experiment.
Unbeknownst to everyone, including her, Dr. Frank has adapted the methods of
animal husbandry and molecular genetics to human reproduction. Fusing his
wife's egg and his own sperm, he sets in motion the production of a superior
being, his child.
The result of this experiment, a son, VJ, is born to a surrogate mother and
legally adopted by the Franks. To their delight, their son is physically
perfect, and, by the age of three, displays the complex problem-solving
abilities- of a prodigy. Victor Frank is a happy man. He has produced a
flawless human being, and that success-plus the subsequently healthy child,
bodes for a dazzling future.
Then, without warning, VJ's intelligence level plunges to a point
appropriate to his age, but stabilizes. For the moment, Frank can breathe a
sigh of relief: Even if VJ is no longer the genius he was, at least he will
be normal.
But that relief is tragically short-lived, for all too soon VJ begins to
change again. And this time, there is no cause for comfort-only terror.
Mutation is both the spellbinding chronicle of a father pitted against his
son in mythic battle and a timely warning to us all. Here is blue-chip Robin
Cook, destined to be as controversial as it is compulsively readable.

Dr. Robin Cook, a graduate of the Columbia University Medical School,
finished his postgraduate medical training at Harvard. He is currently on
leave from the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. He lives and writes in
Florida.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council