[bookshare-discuss] Book submitted: Dreamland Lake

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:11:05 -0500

Another Richard Peck.  My children's library has a lot of these, and he is a
popular author with teachers, so am adding what I can find to the
collection.

anyway didn't really like this one.  For one thing, the chapter numbers did
not scan!  I could maybe guess where they go, but they did not scan at all,
and I don't have someone here to mark them.

So... besides that minor error, everything else is great.  And page numbers
are at the bottom of pages, so shouldn't be stripped so you can nivigate
with those. I did read it thorougly so is complete. Sigh.

But I just couldn't get into this one.  Course I was also one of a few
students in Junior year literature to not like Catcher in the Rye, I did
understand it, just didn't like it.

Under the .rtf section of the website.

Dreamland lake
By Richard Peck
From the Book jacket:
macabre beginning? Perhaps. But the discovery of the body by two boys, Flip
and Bryan, sets off a chain of events that finally ends their friendship.
The two are poised perilously between childhood and adolescence, between
fantasy and reality, between the daily round of the Coolidge Middle School
and a paper route and the menace of the dark woods of Dreamland Lake. Flip
is the aggressive organizer, determined to transform a tramp's lonely death
into full- scale television-style mystery-adventure.  Bryan is the
reflective follower who learns to stand alone when their mutual fantasy
results in authentic tragedy. Before the drama is played out to the final,
terrifying conclusion, Elvan Helligrew, a born victim, is involved together
with the fathers of the boys, men who inhabit a world the boys will one day
enter. It is Bryan who tells the story later in an attempt to explain to
himself the meaning of events involving more kinds of death than he can
comprehend-or face.

Richard Peck was born in Decatur, Illinois. He attended Exeter University in
England and graduated from DePauw  University and Southern Illinois
University. He has taught at Hunter College in New York and has served as
the Assistant Director of the Council for Basic Education in Washington,
D.C. He is the editor of four anthologies of contemporary writing, including
SOUNDS & SILENCES and MINDSCAPES.  His own poetry and articles on books,
schools, and urban Jiving appear in Saturday Review, The Chicago Tribune
Magazine, Parents' and The New York Times. Mr. Peck is the author of one
previous novel, don't look and it won't hurt.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com