[bookshare-discuss] Re: Book Wish: My reality Check Bounced

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 09:49:40 -0400

Duane,

I beg to differ. Baby Boomers include all those born after 1945 and for the next ten years almost. They were the children of the adults who lived through the war whether or not their were parents were soldiers of stayed in the US or wherever but lived though it indirectly with newspapers and radios and film and food shortages and rationing of everything from butter to sugar to nylons and gasoline.. Their parents told them about the war and what was done during it. And we were constantly reminded how lucky we were by the movies and radios.and later, television. Black baby boomers had parents who went to war but were expected to return quietly to Jim Crow when they came back. President Truman had ordered the military to integrate the services but getting them to do it was another thing. The boomers grew up with embittered parents who thought things would be different and found out they weren't. And the rich who fought in the war were as susceptible to Post Traumatic Shock Syndrome under another name as were the poor. And they came back as mutilated and dead as did the poor. The baby boomers were the children of these as much as the ones who did not go to Europe or the Pacific. Do not put us in the categories you list below. We are the post war generation and all that that entails.

Amy
omsm

----- Original Message ----- From: "duane iverson" <diverson@xxxxxxxxxx>