[bookshare-discuss] Re: Anyone Interested In MP3 Formatted Books?

  • From: "Darrell Shandrow" <darrell.shandrow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:33:01 -0700

Hi Monica,

I am definitely hopeful that, one day, Bookshare will be able to provide copies
of books in audio format, as I have heard that request from users many times in
the past.  MP3 is, of course, not the only way to go.  The books could be
encoded in audio DAISY format, in much the same way NLS books are today.  Since
audio DAISY is considered to be a special format, and these books would
continue to be protected by the same DRM and fingerprinting techniques already
used for the text, it should ultimately be within the realm of possibility to
make this happen.  The challenge would be to acquire and license text-to-speech
that provides an extremely high quality experience that may serve to closely
approximate reading by a live narator.

Regards,

Darrell