[bookport] mp3s and length of books

  • From: James Nuttall <jnuttallphd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 09:58:02 -0700 (PDT)

An mp3 question:
With Kuzweil 1000 and other software, you can create an audio mp3 file of your
book to make an audio book. I have software Premier Assistive Text-to-Audio. It
lets me make different mp3 files at different frequency and bit rates. The
smaller the frequency and bit rate the smaller the file. So, for example I can
choose a frequency of 48 khz and a bit rate of 48 kbps. Can Book Port use these
mp3 files that have the lower rates?

Generally I divide a book into chapter before making the mp3 files. How big a
file can BookPort handle. I've heard with some players, if the file gets to big
(long) the recorder will get confused and loose its location. Has this happened
to anyone.

A text-to-speech, Microsoft Word question:
I also have an entire book in Word format. Can I read the entire book with
text-to-speech or do I need to divide the book up into chapters to use the
text-to-speech feature of bookport.

Thanks,
Jim Nuttall--Michigan