[bookport] how do you use you book port?

  • From: Ed Thurston <thurston@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:55:54 -0400

Hello!

I have been collecting etext books for  over 15 years and wanted to have a
device to save them on away from the  computer.  I have lost  many books to
computer crashes and thought that this would be a safer way both to store
and read  these books.

This entire  process has been a learning process for me.  I had never heard
of the   Book Port until recently and did not know what a compact flash
card was  until  about a month ago.

I wish that this thread had  materialized  a bit sooner.  I would have
still  purchased the book port, but would have gotten several  smaller
compact flash cards and not the 2 gb one.

The  Double Talk speech is quite good, not as good as Artic Business with
the sonyx card or  later on with the Dectalk Express.  However it is still
worlds ahead of the  Echo speech I first started out with on my Apple II E.
 If you want to get some idea what that was like, find a old classic
Braille n Speak and listen to  Echo in all its glory!

I have not had much time to do much reading with the  book port, since I
have  been digging out  floppies, cds  and dumping  them into folders on my
computer and transfering them onto the bookport.

I really like text files much better than digital ones as I can play them
as fast as I want and can get so many more onto a card.  I can literally
carry  my personal library  in one  hand and can access its books and read
them  from the device containing them.

What  else could  one want?

Thanks APH for this  little guy and  also thanks to all who have helped
get me up and running with it!

Ed,