[bookport] Re: future of bookport

  • From: Barbara <barbarab65@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 00:51:11 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

  I am a Book Share volunteer and I know that volunteers, now, are committed to
getting the material into as excellent condition as possible. In the past, the
Book Share material was not well scanned, but, now, things are better in the
organization and we are committed to excellent quality.

  Barbara

albert griffith <albertgriffith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  The reason Book share doesn't make a similar argument is that the material
they release is, at best, marginally imperfect, with few exceptions because
someone has scanned it in to the system. As I understand the process,
material from NLS. is exact. This fact greatly enhances its value for the
bad guys. the National Library Service is being very careful not to risk
their reputation and not allowing data to even get to a computer in its raw
form is a great fail-safe measure. I'm not real tech oriented and I may be
inaccurate to some degree with what I've stated here but I believe my
assumptions close to the mark.