[bookport] Re: future of bookport

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:56:17 -0600

As of right now, there are a lot of NLS books that are not duplicated on Bookshare.

At 01:11 AM 12/20/2007 -0600, you wrote:
I think the stream also supports electronic books. I haven't really
used NLS and wonder how many of their titles are availible through
bookshare and RFBD.
In other words, how much of a disadvantage is it to not have NLS? Can
bookshare, RFBD, and others fill the void?
Jeff

On 12/20/07, Barbara <barbarab65@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The reason that I purchased Book Port instead of another device such as Book
> Courier, is because I wanted to be able to read RFB&D books as well as
> electronic ones. I rarely read NLS books because it is easier for me to
> download Bookshare books and read them either via Kurzweil or with Book
> Port. As I understand it, Book Port is the only device that is able to read
> RFB&D books as well as electronic ones, and therefore, I hope that APH will
> manufacture Book Port II in the near future like they promised. I would hate
> to see this wonderful device no longer in existence.
>
>   Barbara
>
> Yerba Bruja <yerbabruja@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   Perhaps no one missed it. I think people are trying to figure out what
> other alternatives they can have with bookport or whatever, because there's
> a difference between shelling out $395 for a bookport and $1,395 for a
> braille plus, in spite of how convenient, versatile and impressive the
> latter is. Don't get me wrong. I love both. But I can see why people
> would be looking for options involving cost below those of the braille plus
> or icon.
>
> What I would be interested to know is if APH is at any point interested in
> developing pc based software capable of reading those nls books. Might be a
> less costly alternative, given that there wouldn't be hardware involved.
> Not as portable as the bookport or braille plus but...
>
> Marta

Sandy Licht
Jeremiah 29:11 - 14.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity.