[bookport] Re: find feature

  • From: Shane Christenson <drummershane@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 14:29:18 -0500

Hello. I have a question about the bookport's keypad. What keys on the keypad constitute the braille keyboard?

Shane
At 10:47 AM 9/6/2007, you wrote:
Book Port has a Find Feature, but only in a book, not in a folder. From the manual:

Finding Text

In addition to using marks to move to interesting points in a file, you may use Book Port to find specific passages of text. There are two ways to define the text to find; with the braille method and by marking an occurance of that tex.

Enter Text to Find in Braille: 7+8+9

To enter text to find, either press 7+8+9 or use your Book Port's
braille keyboard
to enter an F-chord. Once you press the Find command, Book Port says Enter Text to Find and lets you use the braille keyboard to enter the text.

*Note that due to hardware limitations, when you enter F-Chord, you must use the left space key.

Backspace and Delete

If you make a typing error, use the Backspace key to erase the character left of the cursor, or use the Delete key to erase the character at the cursor.

Finished

When you finish typing the text to find, there are three things you may do:
List of 3 items
1. Press Up Arrow to initiate a backwards search.
2. Press Down Arrow to initiate a forward search.
3. Press the braill keyboard's Enter key.
list end

Pressing any of these keys puts the text you typed into the find buffer.

Once you have the text in the find buffer, use the
Find Previous and Next
commands to locate the text.

Define Find Text: 7+9

In addition to using the braille method for entering text, you may mark an existing passage of text. Follow these steps:
List of 4 items
* Move to the beginning of the section of text you wish to find using the word or letter movement keys.
* Press the Define Find key sequence.
* Move to the end of the section of text to find.
* Press the Define Find key sequence again. Book Port responds, "Find Text Defined."
list end

Find Previous and Next: 7+8 and 8+9

Once you define text to find, use the Find Previous and Find Next key sequences to move the reading pointer in the indicated direction to the next occurrence of that text. These commands work the same in both Reading and Idle mode, except that when using the command in Reading mode, the unit continues reading at the new position. In Idle mode, the unit moves the reading position to the next occurrence of the text then reads the current sentence.

If there is no further occurrence of the text to find, Book Port beeps and takes no further action.

Note that there is an 80 character limit to the amount of text that may be specified as the text to find. If you press the Define Find key sequence, and there is no Find Text Start in the previous 80 characters, Book Port treats the Define Find command as the beginning of the find string. If there is a Find string defined within the previous 80 characters, the Define Find key sequence identifies the end of the text to find.

You may clear the beginning or end of the find string by moving to it, then pressing the Define Find key sequence again.

Hope that helps!

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> kf4cld@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 09/06/07 11:32AM >>>
Ok folks. Refresh my memory. Does the book port have a find feature? I have a folder of books and I want to find one certain book. I can not seem to find a find feature. Can anyone help? Thanks.

http://www.eset.com