[bookport] Re: connecting the bookport to the pc

  • From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 09:19:15 -0400

Hello:

There are some instances where the processor and USB port on the PC is
not compatible with the Book Port.  Since we know it works on other
computers, that is likely the case here.  The only other thing I would
suggest is if you have used other storage devices on the new computer,
such as a digital camera--anything that shows up as a Removable Disk
that would be assigned to f, g, etc., then you may need to reassign the
drive letter to the Book Port.  A good way to test this is to look in My
Computer or Windows Explorer while the Book Port is connected and see if
it shows up.  If it doesn't, then you need to reassign the drive letter.
 If it does show up, disconnect the Book Port and see if the letter
disappears.  The directions for doing this are in the User's Manual.  If
it disappears when you disconnect it, and you haven't used any other
devices that could be causing this, then you have an Incompatible Chip
Set.  The conflict usually occurs with AMD Athlon Chipsets.  Since you
have another PC to use, you may just want to go with that one.  However,
if you want the Book Port to work with this computer, then you'd need to
go out and purchase a ADPCI card, which essentially gives you another
USB Port.  You would connect the Book Port directly into the port on the
card.

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> lprazdnik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 04/08/07 07:22PM >>>
Hello,

I recently got my new computer. When I had my other computer, I was
able to
connect my bookport to the pc, and everything was fine. However, when I
got
my new computer, and when I tried to connect my bookport to the pc,
nothing
would happen.  I first thought something was wrong with the cable, but
when
I tried it on other things, it was fine.  Is there anything else I
should
do?

Thanks