[bookport] Re: bookshare books

  • From: "David Bennett" <david382@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 00:36:57 -0600

It's your choice. I generally download the BRF version simply because it's my personal preference and doesn't require unpacking, but the Book Port transfer software will transfer and unpack the DAISY version nicely if you prefer it. BRF files tend to be smaller, but a well-prepared DAISY book (they're not created equal), is a joy to navigate. In the case of most text-based DAISY books, such as those found at Bookshare, there isn't a heck of a lot of difference from a navigational standpoint, and that's a fact. Bookshare does a super job and is one of my very favorite repositories of fantastic books, but they are prepared by volunteers, and this means some DAISY titles are wonderful, whereas others navigate about the way a well-formatted BRF file would. A growing number of people are beginning to know how to create sophisticated DAISY files, but many others either don't have the latest DAISY creation software or aren't educated as to getting the most from it. It's coming, though, and DAISY books from Bookshare are becoming much more predictable and a lot better than the first ones which were offered. But as to which format you should send to Book Port, really, it's a personal choice, because Book Port will let you have it your way, kind of like Burger King.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Claude Everett" <ceverett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>