From: bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Neal Ewers
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 9:54 AM
To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bookport] Re: a cd against a 1 gb card

A file recorded at 4100 Hz and 16 bit transferred to an MP3 file of
192 kbps is 41.2 megabytes.  A cd will hold 700 Megabytes of data minus a
few mb in reality.  If you are storing these as data files you have your
answer give or take a half hour or so.  If you are writing them to disk as
MP3 audio that plays on your CD player, I don't remember how much overhead
is taken up by the file folder structure and other things.  I know, this is
not completely helpful, but here it is anyway.  I also agree that recording
that 192 kbps for old radio shows is very much overkill, in my opinion, but
I am sure you have your reasons for doing so.

Neal