[bookport] Some Suggestions for New Software

  • From: "ptorpey" <ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:42:24 -0400

Larry,
You folks have really done a fine job with this device, especially some
of the recent enhancement.  So, there isn't much to suggest.  But, you
were looking for some ideas and priorities, so here's what I have:

1.      I still sometimes have problems using the 2 and 7 keys to move
backwards through pages and sections.  In some documents (both audio and
text).  In a particular document, most of the backward movement works
alright.  In certain sections, however, the back motion keys just keep
repeatedly bringing me back to the present sections and not the previous
section/page.  This only occurs when I use the 3 and 7 keys while the
text is reading.  So, to get past the hurdle, I usually stop reading and
use the backward motion keys.  It would be nice if this worked properly.

2.      I notice in recorded memos that the * and # keys do not move to
the previous and next memos if you use these keys while the message is
playing.  I have to stop the message in order to move to other messages.

3.      I notice that in several of the DTB audio magazines from the NLS
test program that, although I can navigate by section easily, it is
difficult to move by large increments within a section.  I thought I saw
someone else's suggestion on this list that there be more movement size
options in audio files.
4.      I just started downloading and testing some books from
Bookshare.  When I download these Daisy files to the Bookport, they do
not appear with the filename (i.e., name of the book) in the Bookport
Transfer program.  The titles are read correctly on the Bookport itself,
but it would be nice if the files lists in which you can view the files
on the Bookport with the Bookport program would show the title
(filename).  What I see now is something like:

Bookshare00102j3 (truncated after that)

5.      We discussed the concept of having a keyed locking system on the
Bookport to prevent beeping while the Bookport is packed and in transit.
I still like the beeps to know the unit is locked, but it would be nice
if:
        a.      A key combination could be used to "deep lock" the unit
while in transit (no beeping)
        b.      You could still keep the 1+3 combo for quick locking and
not in transit.

6.      Still waiting for the hardware upgrade so that we can modify the
speed of audio files on the fly!

7.      (low priority) - Ability to change the recording quality /
compression for memos.

8.      If the hardware was upgraded, USB 2.0 would be nice to improve
transfer speed of large audio files.

8.      Longer range, maybe you can add some calendar options with
notes/memos and/or alarms for appointments.  How much memory will be in
future units to support these types of things?  See the Voice Diary /
IMP (www.voicediary.com) - What a great little device, but I don't think
its being made any more.  Maybe a limited number of these functions can
be build into the Bookport if you're really looking for new projects!

Anyway, great device.  Really not much to change.  Keep up the great
work.

-- Pete