[bookport] Re: Returning the Bookports' back to the library tomorrow will be sad. GRIN.

  • From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 10:44:44 +1200

Hi Sandy and list!

I agree. I know that NLS and by association, many cooperating libraries have caught a lot of flack from patrons for seeming to ignore updating to digital formats. In fairness to NLS, the criticism isn't justified. But some libraries are trying various schemes to explore different methods of delivery, partly, I think, to quiet the rabble. Of course, they also want to know if they need to depend on NLS for everything, so they test alternative ways that offer a chance to get books in patrons' hands more quickly than the NLS process allows.

You know, we hear news faster now because we largely use the same sources as everyone else. One of the disadvantages of that is that we hear about a new book only to find we can't get it because it isn't available in an accessible format. Well, that isn't entirely untrue either, as any subscriber to Audible knows. But then there is cost associated with that potential opportunity that some can't and some are unwilling to pay. So in fairness to the libraries, they are looking for ways to give patrons what they want, which isn't a bad thing.

Even NLS is experimenting with more than the upcoming Daisy oriented players. A few months ago, I read a James Patterson book on cassette from NLS that had been taken from a mainstream producer. They made the recording conform to NLS specifications for speed and track, but those were the only modifications. As you might expect, the resulting decrease in fidelity was noticeable. The stupid bits of elevator music which mainstream producers often use to add a bit of ambiance was distracting if not annoying. I hope that trend doesn't continue.

About firmware updating, sure version 2.03 firmware has been around now for quite some time, so you might wonder why libaries experimenting with book ports haven't updated them. But then consider what features were added in the last version or two of the firmware. If the books used don't include Daisy markup, the changes in navigation commands wouldn't have made any difference anyway. The note taker is great and I love using it, but I don't think a library needs to be concerned about that because they aren't in the note taking business. They are in the reading business.

Unless the circumstances of the testing they are doing prohibits it, any tester can perform the update themselves. The cable is vailable commercially so they can buy one anywhere. The software is available free, so they can certainly install that and use it, unless the provisions of the testing prevents modification of the units being tested.

Cheers,
Dave
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sandy Licht" <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>