[bookport] Re: Realistic Wish List

  • From: "Scott Howell" <n3byy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:50:55 -0400

And to add to this list. FIrst taking Bruce's suggestion of a battery
for a clock, I think that battery should also hold settings as well or
even a nonvolital solution would be nice. If not a third battery, maybe
a capacitor that would hold things like time etc. for X amount of time.
Personally and this would certainly perhaps cost more, but if done
right, maybe not. How about going with one of the new. um. what's those
things for cellphones, leon neon whatever batteries and you'd get loads
of time out of those. How's about forget the CF coards and lets look at
hard disks instead. YOu can purchase a notebook drive of 40Gb for the
cost of a 2Gb cf card. Why not take this even further and add a
scientific calculator whiel we're at it. I mean look you got the
notetaking feature, so a student could really benefit from this as a
notetaking device, a calculator for math etc. and well gee now you got
your text books on their and all of them. Now I'm not a student myself,
but man what I'd have given for one of these while taking courses and
gee actually I am planning to go back to school before long. I can see
dozens of possibilities and not all would necessarily drive cost up
significantly. You know the older Archos players and recorders can be
driven by a blind person with Rockbox, now I mention this only because
it is not out of the question that APH look at working with Iriver or
any number of companies to develop a new device. I'm sure Springer could
be considered still for this project. I toss some thoughts out randomly,
but its this thought process that will get the creative juices flowing.
Lets never poopoo ideas or on them, lets hear them out, consider it, and
perhaps there's more validity to some than others. Yes I know this is
APH's baby, but we all have a vested interest in this and its obvious
that such a product will sell. Ay the BP as is has sold well as far as I
can tell and it would be insane not to at least explore all possible
options. Sometimes you have to think outside the box and shoot high even
if the goals are nearly if not unreachable. WHy settle for less if you
can have more. There are embeded os solutions like LInux which would
allow even more possibilities and better processors. I mention Iriver as
they have some pretty powerful processors in their H120/140 modles for
example over the Archos hardware, but well taht may have changed, I'm
only talking about what I know Rockbox runs on. Ay really lets toss the
ideas at APH and see what comes of it. I'd sure buy a new unit if it had
some of the features I'm looking for and surely beta test them. I think
the hardware has to come first and once you know what your limitations
are based on the hardware, you can develop the software. I'm not saying
the current BP is at all a bad unit or a bad buying choice cause if I
felt this way, I wouldn't have purchased one. WHat I am saying is that
the potential is there. APH has proven their commitment to excellence,
they have outstanding folks on staff like Larry, Rob, Pam, and so many
others who have all worked together as a team to make this happen. I
would guess that APH could say without a doubt that the BP was a real
success and a very well designed and supported product. I bet its one of
their top sellers...ok maybe I'm getting carried away, but I hope my
thoughts and comments inspires all of you to contribute your own ideas
and thoughts to this project. I see this as a project that could really
turn into something really big for APH and the blind community. Geez ok
I'm all worked up, I'll stop now.
Thank you for reading this rant...grin

Scott

ps. Oh yeah Bruce, I like many of your ideas.