[bookport] Re: Realistic Wish List

  • From: James Nuttall <jnuttallphd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:34:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dave from Jim:
I'm not sure I would get anything from an FM radio either. But I was putting
the concept out there as an example of how technology can be added at little
cost to the Book Port. Remeber when a transister radio was the size of a bar of
soap. I took one apart once and believe me it was packed tight with electronic
components. Now you can get an entire FM radio on a chip about the size of your
thumb nail. I was hoping to simply get some creative thoughts going. I must
admit now that I've read about 20 books on my Book Port, I too like so many
here absolutely love the device. A friend of mine reminded me the other day
that I used to rely on volunteers to read to me. Now I can scan and read many
books without a hitch. Just the same I think it is great to think of ideas that
might make our lives much more fun.
Jim

David Allen <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Jim and list:

I can't help but be amused by how things can change over time. If I were in
the market for a device like the bookport 20 years or so ago, I would have
thought including a FM radio in such a device would not only have been
desirable but essential. My rejection of the notion now is not a matter of
being unwilling to accept that bookport be changed in any way. It is a case
of their being little or nothing now on FM radio worth listening to. Even at
only $10 a pop, the cost is not justified in what it offers. The fact that I
depend on the internet for what nominally qualifies as radio doesn't stem
from any lack of stations, far from it. Does anyone know where I could get a
portable unit that would interface with my wireless network that would be as
accessible as navigating files on a bookport?

Cheers,
Dave