[bookport] Re: Raw MP3 Vs. Re-encoded MP3

  • From: "Grant Hardy" <grant_r_hardy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 22:14:10 -0700

Yes, I understand this, I was asking about it from a technical standpoint: does it decompress, place some kind of markers in the file, and recompress, does it place some kind of companion file in the unit with the markers and do no decompression/recompression, something else entirely?

Ah, well it does place two additional files with each audio segment, which you can see from Windows Explorer, which provide the "index points" that the Book Port uses when navigating the files. In fact, when you set bookmarks, this info is also recorded in those other files. I am almost certain that this is how it works--but I'm sure Rob or Larry will correct me if it works differently.

Grant