[bookport] Non-stop CF card problems (mainly MP3 related)

  • From: Peter Rand <peter.rand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:40:43 +0100

I've been having non-stop problems with my Book Port's 1 gig Kingston CF
card.

The last card was corrupted, so this is a brand-new CF card I am using.

In the past week I have encountered the following errors:

1. When pausing during MP3 playback, I get the error message:
     "application file-write error". But when I press 2, the MP3
continues to play without
     any problems.

2. I am unable to view some of my folders containing MP3 files with the
transfer software.
    When trying to open the file, the transfer software freezes, and I
get the message:
     "program does not respond". I then have to take out the Book Port's
batteries to get
      the BP running again. When I try to view or play the contents of
these folders directly on the Book Port,
      the Book Port freezes, forcing me to remove/reinstall the batteries.

3. I am unable to delete certain files from the Book Port - whether I
try to delete them directly
    on the Book Port, or remotely using Windows XP, every attempt ends
up causing the Book Port
    to freeze and crash. I then have to take out the Book Port's
batteries to get
      the BP running again. Then I see that the files have not even been
deleted.

4. When I try to evaluate the card using "chkdsk g:" I get the message
that there are errors on the card.
    I then use the command "chkdsk g: /f" to try to fix the card. When
WinXP checks about 95% of the card, the program
    freezes, the Book Port freezes, and I then have to take out the Book
Port's batteries to get the BP running again.

All the above problems only seem to affect folders containing MP3 files.
The Book Port software and firmware
are up-to-date.

What the heck is going on? My wonderful Book Port is becoming a
nightmare to use.

Peter