[bookport] Re: Noise-canceling headphones

  • From: "Barrett, Don" <Don.Barrett@xxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:30:42 -0500

Joney,

I use the BoseQC2 and love them.  The main issue with these headphones =
is they cancel out mostly bass frequencies from the outside, not from =
your sound source which is exactly what you want to happen.  The main =
reason is of course plane engines and bus motors tend to emit most noise =
in the lower ranges, so canceling out the lower frequency range makes a =
phenomenal difference in these environments.  Do yourself a favor -- =
spend the extra money and get the Bose, but see if you can return them =
if you don't like them.
The only thing I don't like about them is that if the battery goes and =
you are listening to something, you are out of luck.  Contrary to what =
you might logically think, the battery controls not only the noise =
canceling part, but the whole operation as well; in other words, no =
battery, no sound.

The in-ear isolation phones also sound intriguing, but I haven't had =
much experience with them.  The only problem I can see them posing in a =
public environment is that something may happen which you may need to =
hear and you might miss it, but that is just my perception.  I would =
probably see if I could try both, and then make my decision.

Don