[bookport] Noise-canceling headphones

  • From: "Joni Colver" <july77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Book Port" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 08:47:42 -0600

I have been interested in buying some noise-canceling headphones to use with
my Book Port.  I want to use these headphones on airplanes and buses to
listen to the Double Talk synthesizer read text.

After reading numerous reviews on amazon.com, I am still undecided.  Many
people complain about a pressure on the eardrums while using NC headphones.
Can anyone who has used noise-canceling headphones comment on this issue?  I
don't know if a person can try out headphones in electronics stores.  I can
reach Best Buy, Radio Shack, Office Depot and Circuit City.  Has anyone been
able to try headphones before buying at any of these stores or are they all
sealed up in packaging?

I will list the headphones I am considering at this point.  If anyone has
had positive or negative experiences with any of these or any other brands
please share this with me.

Bose QuietComfort2.  These are super expensive at $299 and I am reluctant to
spend that much money on headphones.  They do have the battery for NC in the
ear cuff I believe, which is nice.

Sennheiser PXC250, less than half the price of the Bose.  I have heard good
things about the Sennheiser brand.  The batteries are in a unit attached to
the cord and this may be a slight negative in using the headphones.

Panasonic RP-HC100 for around $47 at amazon.  I wonder if these have been
discontinued since the price cut is so large.  They have the battery in the
ear cuff but some people have said they hurt their ears after a few hours of
use.

The Sennheiser PX100 folding headphones, which do not have NC capability,
got great reviews at amazon and have been recommended by other Book Port
users.  They cost less than $50.  Has anyone used these on planes or buses?
How well do they work in these noisy environments?

I also ran across this model: Etymotic ER-6 Isolator for $120.  These are
apparently in-ear headphones.  They are also termed noise isolation
headphones and many people think they are superior to noise-canceling
headphones.  Here is one quote from a reviewer:  "Overall sound quality
superior to active

noise cancellation that unbalances the frequency response."

Is frequency response only relevant for listening to music?  Most people
review these headphones in reference to how music sounds.  My main purpose
is listening to the spoken word and hearing it more clearly in noisy
environments.

Any thoughts on this issue would be appreciated.

Joni