[bookport] Re: New and frustrated

  • From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 09:22:35 -0400

Hi Susan:

First of all, I've been where you are and it'll get easier.  Perhaps it will
help if you learn the Book Port first, then the software, or the other way
around.  However, here's how to transfer from the books folder on the CD:

1.  Connect the Book Port to the PC.

2.  Press alt l to point to the Look in box.  For whatever reason, when first
installed, the Lookin points to the Program Files folder (you don't want that).
 You will need to backspace several times to get back to "My Computer.".

3.  Use the arrow keys to find the CD-ROM drive, which is usually D.

4.  Use the arrow keys to find the Books folder. It should be the one at the
top of the list.  Press Enter.

5.  Press Enter on the author you are interested in.

6.  Press Enter on the book that you want to transfer.

That's all.

Incidentally, how do you eat an elephant:  One bite at a time!

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> chinchuba@xxxxxxxxxxxx 09/02/07 01:29AM >>>
Well, we've got our new Bookport, and while I'm sure it will be wonderful once
we get the hang of it, right now we're just totally frustrated.

My husband is listening to the User's Manual - pretty dry reading if there's
nothing on the device to use it on! So meanwhile, all I want to do is get a
book on the thing so that he can just start reading. The user's manual says
there are books on the CD ROM but danged if I can find them, or find out how to
find them or how to download them to the device - arrgh!

OK, I admit I'm not exceptionally computer savvy (I am sighted, my husband is
blind), but we ain't stupid either, and really thought it would be a  LOT
easier to get a book on the thing and start reading!!! All the user's manual
content seems like a lot of technical stuff to wade through without having
anything to try it out on...

Susan and Steve