[bookport] Re: NLS Beta Program

  • From: "Kitty Litter" <n8kl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 08:03:05 -0500

Well, since I am also in the NLS pilot test program and I am kind of bored I will put in my two cents. The NLS design for downloaded books is very good. Each book is distributed in a zip file which gets unzipped to a flashcard which gets put in to the victor classic player which has the firmware loaded to play the NLS books. All books are daisy books which gives chapter and heading navigation. It would certainly be possible to rewrite the transfer program to put an NLS book on the book port as books from RFB&D are done now. They are encrypted in such a way that only your particular pook port would play them. The only question then is would it make sense for APH to do that for a unit that is really obsolete. It would sure be nice for the users if they did but that is a management and political decision they have apparently already made. I think people will be very happy with the new NLS machines compared to cassettes. The only thing I wonder about is if Congress is going to put it in the budget.