[bookport] Re: NLS Beta Program

  • From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 17:28:59 -0500

It can, of course, play _today's_ DAISY/NLS books (well, NLS braille books,
anyhow), but of course they're not yet talking about something (digital
format) that's not even generally available. I'd still agree, though--the BP
would make a nifty Christmas gift for anyone who likes to read.

And if/when it's possible to upgrade today's BP to play the NLS digital
format, I wouldn't expect to see an announcement of that fact until the new
format is generally released. APH has been a very close partner with NLS for
many, many years and if it's technically possible to release new firmware
and software that will allow support of these books, I'd have a strong
suspicion that it's already being worked on, even though for their own
reasons, NLS doesn't want or allow APH to announce the fact. There are
completely valid reasons that software providers, accessibility or general
purpose, don't like to pre-announce new features until the release
containing them is actually available, so not pre-announcing such a new BP
feature doesn't bother me one bit--if it's coming, it'll come when it comes
and until then, why worry about it? I just fail completely to understand
anyone's concern about it now.