[bookport] Re: Labeling Chargers

  • From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:45:14 +1300

Hi Brian and list:

You're points are appreciated. As a blind person, I can easily agree with you that things should be labelled in an a way that would be appropriate for me. Now tell me, if you can, what would that way be? Do you know whether or not I read Braille? You may assume I do, and I do, but does that make it appropriate? After all, according to all the research, only a low percentage of blind people read Braille. I'm a supporter of Braille and I encourage it's use whenever possible, but I know that it isn't right to assume that because someone is blind, they automatically embrace my native medium. There are some valid reasons for this, easily exemplified by many of my clients. Thus it offers the best justification that everyone should use the labelling technique most suitable for themselves, even if they require a modicum of assitance to accomplish that task. I can take the road of saying to them that Braille is their salvation, even though it may be an impossibility for them. How empathetic would I appear if I did that? I encourage any who can to take a look at it. If, after a good try, it doesn't offer them advantage they can clearly recognise, I don't push them into a course that they can't see themselves completing or benefitting from directly. It is questionable whether I could cope with tactile print labelling which you suggest *may be appropriate. Yet I know many that would find this far less understandable than even I do, and I don't claim to have a lot of skill in this area. So how appropriate is that?

Please do some more thinking. I know there are some book port users who wouldn't be at all inconvenienced because the coming NLS books will include DRM. It's good that they will look at everything they can since they know circumstances offer them an opportunity. But it seems very much like political correctness, which has been taken further than it never needed or should have been taken.

Cheers,
Dave
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Buhrow" <buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>