[bookport] Re: Interesting rumor

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:43:21 -0600

James, I have used my Bookport every day for two years, and I haven't had any problems at all. I'm sorry you have, but from everything I've read on list for the last two years, you are in the minority. I believe the design to be a good one. In all electronics, there are some units that fail.

At 06:42 PM 1/17/2007, James Jolley wrote:
Hi,

It will be interesting to see what APH come up with, because personally, I
find that the Bookport is rather badly designed. It's tacky rubber keys for
a start have lead me to have to question that decision when they designed
the unit. One wonders wether or not they suspected that longevity wouldn't
be an issue, and as usual as blind individuals, we have to make yet another
purchase to keep up with the joanses as it were.

Secondly, my unit has developed a rather interesting problem in that the
left channel drops out periodicly. This is plain rediculous as it's never
been dropped or anything. The entire design of the board is suspect in my
view.

I don't deny that the software that allows one to transfer files is ok, but
it's not quite as sophisticated as we are lead to believe. For instance,
when transfering HTML files, the system is unable to read tags for headings
and so on, rather pointless. What always interested me is why APH didn't
parce the HTML directly, instead of having to rely on word for it's output?
Also, why should one be required to use a secondry daisy reader, when surely
good programming practice would have the book port transfer include an
appropriate DLL with the appropriate library functions to accomplish those
tasks?

To be absolutely honest, I have had no end of trouble with my unit. I've
sent it back to our destributer in the UK, had it repaired, and after 9
months of use, it is faulty again. One wonders wether springer's design team
took into acount how mutch these units would be used.

Interestingly, I own a Book courier also, and although not as feature ritch,
it's overall design is significantly better, plus I have had no problems
with my unit.

What do people think? I am naturally expecting the usual that goes on on
most blindness lists, the inevitable winers, but here's hoping eh?

-James-