[bookport] Re: How to you use your book port? Preferring human narration to synthetic speech

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:57:33 -0500

Burt Blackwell... What a great narrator he was! I met him back in 1972 when I was a summer missionary in Louisville. My tour of APH was a hi-light of my summer.

At 08:11 PM 7/13/2005, you wrote:

Hi. Since these threads have generated in my opinion a bit of overwhelming list traffic, I thought I'd combine my responses into one message.

I so far have used the book port to listen to some web braille books and magazines. I briefly signed up for audible books but my economic circumstances do not permit me to stick with audible as much as I enjoy it. The same goes for book share. I have heard a couple of mp3's on the book port and I thought they sounded wonderful. I did not compres the files because I wanted to hear the song in its normal pitch.

I prefer human narration when the narrator is good and that is of course to each one's preference. I did read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer from the book port CD but a human narrator pronouncing the dialect is much better than a synthesizer trying to pronounce it. Give me Burt Blackwell or Jim Walton any time. Or even my 8th grade English teacher for that matter.

I do not speed books up very often. Most of the narrators from the major studios read fast enough for me.

Mike

Sandy Licht
Phone: 409-898-8218
Jeremiah 29:11 - 14A