[bookport] Re: Hardware upgrade!

  • From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:30:11 -0400

Hope -

While there's been no official statement from APH concerning their future
plans, I think it's safe to say that the general consensus among those of us
who've been around here for a while that eventually, there will be a new
Book Port. There have been so many requests for improvements of the exact
kind you mention (improved audio quality, the ability to speed up MP3 and
Audible materials) that can't currently be accommodated in the existing
hardware that it seems a fair guess that a new and improved BP is probably
under consideration.

Just to give you an idea of what has to be accommodated, though, bear in
mind that right now, APH is dependent on Springer Design for the hardware
and unless Springer decides to upgrade their own BookCourier, on which the
BP is heavily based, it very well might not be economically feasible for APH
to go it alone in the development and introduction of a new model. Then, the
two parties would have to reach some kind of general agreement on what new
functions and features they want so that a single hardware unit could be
developed with APH then assuming responsibility for their own firmware
development as is the case today. This can't be an easy process at best.