[bookport] Re: Feedback on latest Beta

  • From: "ROB MEREDITH" <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:13:06 -0400

Pete:

The audio recording pitch problem has been corrected in the latest =
firmware. Since you are using a beta, check it out and see if it works =
correctly for you.

Rob Meredith

>>> ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 07/11/04 08:16PM >>>
I downloaded the latest beta which includes the ability to compress
audio files.  What a great feature - After years of listening to books
and magazines at faster speeds, it was really uncomfortable to listen at
"normal" speed. =20
Anyway,

1.      This was a very time-consuming process, even on my 2 GHz PC.  I
guess this is to be expected, but, its great to have this ability
anyway.

2.      I tried using the Preview feature in the Bookport Transfer
program.  I highlighted the file to be sent and hit Alt + P.  The only
thing that happened was that I saw the text of a document I had
previewed many weeks ago.  I could not get any audio preview of the file
before downloading to the Bookport.  I would like to have been able to
do this in order to see how I liked my choices of compression before
taking the long time needed to convert and download the file.

3.      The file I tested was the July Issue of U.S. News and World
Report from the NLS DTB test site.  The original download was over 200
MB.  I sped the magazine up by a factor of 2.0 and compressed spaces by
50%.  After transfer, the magazine only took up about 79 MB on the
Bookport.  Great savings of space!

4.      Reading on the Bookport seemed to go great.  Audio was clear,
navigation through sections worked well, and my place was preserved
after leaving and returning to the magazine.

All in all, great job!

Question: You indicated that an upcoming hardware upgrade might include
the ability to vary the speed of audio files dynamically on the Bookport
itself.  Is this still in the works (maybe not needed?).  Also, if there
is a new hardware upgrade, it would be nice if the audio recording
feature did not change the pitch of the original as it does now.

-- Pete