[bookport] Re: Bookport and Audio Output

  • From: "Curtis Delzer" <curtis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:19:35 -0700

I have such a cel phone with a tiny speaker that actually gets quite loud, and
if you hold it close to your ear and turn the volume down so you're not blasted
into the next county, it sounds very good indeed. A speaker
would be fantastic for the BookPort, in fact, my wife always complains that she
has to wear headphones for her evaluation devices I.E. the Telex Scholar, etc.
and like her, there are times when I don't wish to listen to
a set of headphones or ear buds, and at the same time don't wish to carry a big
speaker with a cord attached etc. so, if such could be implemented into the
bookport, in some way, it would be ideal for all the right
reasons, including some not so apparent like warning that the battery is being
used for other than beeping when keys are locked, (a beep which is really not
very loud because of wishing to be unobtrusive I am sure,
but probably in the main loud enough), to make that beep over that speaker
rather than just a tiny piezo electric buzzer as it is now.

Curtis Delzer
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:11:19 -0400, ptorpey wrote:

Maybe this isn't possible for a future hardware upgrade but, I wonder
what the possibility is of having at least some audio output on the BP
which one can hear without the headphones.
Normally speakers take up a lot of space and power, so its quite
understandable why the BP and other such devices would only have a
headphone output for audio.

When I was using my cell phone the other day, I thought, where is the
speaker?  Cell phones these days are really tiny, but somehow, some seem
to have a "speaker" function which makes the audio output loud enough to
be heard even if you hold the phone several feet from your head.  So,
what kind of speakers are these?  Would it be possible to include such a
speaker on a future model of the BP even if it were just for listening
to recorded memos, browsing and/or modifying settings, or a short amount
of reading or checking of info on a file?

Just a thought.

-- Pete