[bookport] Re: Book Port Beta History?

  • From: "Walt Smith" <WSmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:11:55 -0400

Jim -

In fact, although I've had my BP for almost a year, I still keep a
permanent bookmark at Appendix A of the current version of the BP
documentation that's loaded on my unit. While I do feel pretty
comfortable with the commands I use all the time, there are still some
that I use so infrequently that they just haven't stuck with me. The
thing I learned and that I'd recommend to any new user is to not try to
swallow the whole elephant in one gulp; that is, don't try to memorize
all of the keystrokes in the first three or four days; but learn just
what you need, get comfortable using them, and then build on that base
by gradually adding one or two more keystrokes as you find you need
them.

Another permanent bookmark that I highly recommend for anyone who
doesn't use computer braille on a daily basis is the Dots for Braille
Characters section of Appendix B. When I want to enter a search term;
especially when I need some of the "special" marks such as the asterisk,
per cent sign, at sign, etc., that's a bookmark that I couldn't get
along without.