[bookport] Re: Attempted Bookport Drowning...

  • From: "KEITH CREASY" <KCREASY@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:20:05 -0500

Yeah, probably. I think I'll switch to using speakers though so I don't
accidently pull it in again. Don't want to tempt fate twice.

Keith

>>> slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 11/27/06 10:53AM >>>
The question is...  Will you listen to the Bookport while in the hot
tub, now?

At 08:34 AM 11/27/2006, KEITH CREASY wrote:
>Hello everyone.
>
>For the past two years or so I have adopted the somewhat risky
practice
>of listening to books while soaking in the hot tub at my home. In the
>back of my head I knew I was taking a chance using the Bookport for
this
>but tried to be as careful as possible. This past Friday night the
>feared mishap occurred, yes I pulled my bookport off the side of the
hot
>tub and into the water. Through the headphones I heard the speech
>degrade into a sound that was something like a truck engine-braking
on
>the highway that quickly faded into silence.
>
>I fumbled around and found my Bookport about two feet under water on
>the seat next to me and figured that I had finally killed it. Just in
>case I took it in, removed the batteries and cover, and shook the
unit
>until no water came out. I placed it on my dresser uncovered and let
it
>sit there until Saturday afternoon.
>
>Amazingly when I put the batteries in on Saturday the unit worked
>somewhat, but a few of the buttons didn't work. I was amazed and took
>the batteries out and laid it back on the dresser until Sunday
>afternoon.
>
>When I put the batteries back in and replaced the cover on Sunday
>afternoon it worked perfectly. We will see if the moisture causes any
>corrosion over time, but for now the unit seems to have survived the
>dunking with no ill effects.
>
>Now, I do not recommend that you dunk or use your bookport or any
>electronic device near water. I can also assure you that APH does not
>warrantee the Bookport against moisture. However, if something does
>happen and you do get the unit wet there is still hope if you do as I
>did. Remove the battery cover, batteries, and the flash card. Shake
the
>unit vigorously until no water drops come out, and let it sit for a
few
>days in a warm dry place. Don't try to use heat to dry it out because
>excessive heat can damage the unit just as moisture can. This may or
may
>not work in every case because it may depend on which components get
>shorted out first, but it is worth trying before you decide that a
$500
>device is hopelessly dead.
>
>Regards,
>Keith
>

>--
11/27/2006

Sandy Licht

Jeremiah 29:11 - 14 A   .
11 For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are
plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
12 In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 If you look for me
in earnest, you will find me when you seek me. 14 I will be found by
you," says the Lord.