[bookport] Active Noise Reduction Headphones

Forgive me if this is a repost - I'm on the road and using a strange way of
connecting to my e-mail.  Thus, I'm not sure if my original post bounced or not.

Anyway, I tried to use my Bookport on an airplane for the first time yesterday.
 The background noise made it almost inmpossible to understand what I was
reading, even with the volume turned up excessively loud.  Now, in a hotel, I
realize that the air-conditioner also makes a sufficient amount of background
noise so that it is less relaxing reading a book thant it is around my
normnally quiet home.

So, the question is, does anyone have a recommendation for active noise
reduction headphones which might make reading more pleasureable (and/or
possible) under these conditions?  Some of my requirements might include:

1.  Relatively inexpensive
2.  Relatively small (so that they pack nicely
3.  Effecdtive in blocking out ambient noise

Also, do these things really work as well as advertised?  Thanks for any
recommendations and/or experiences which might be helpful in making a decision.
If you want to reply directly, my email address is:
Ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- Pete