[bookport] A few questions and thoughts about audio file compression

  • From: "Donna Slater" <donna.slater@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:36:18 +0100

Hi

I'm just curious, but when a file gets compressed so that it plays faster on
the Bookport, is it re-encoded at the same bit rate as the original file or
is a lower bit rate used?  If it is re-encoded at the same bit rate, would
it be very complicated to give the user an option to encode at a lower bit
rate, so using less space on the card?  Also, does the bit rate of a file
have any effect on the amount of battery usage needed to process the file?
I guess what I am wondering is if a lower bit rate uses less battery power?

Thanks once again for such a great list.

Donna Slater