[blindza] Re: Talks v5.2 released

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "NAPSA Blind" <blind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 15:39:18 +0200

Ok, went ahead and downloaded the install package via blindSea, and installed
it over my installation of 5.0, and this also meant could go back to UK english
voice (have had a few guys asking me about that one as well <smile>).

After installation completed, the phone beeped, and then just shut up and
wouldn't talk, but was fine once I restarted it.

Anyway when went into talks app/configuration using talks key followed by *,
after restarting phone, under options menu, under registration, I selected
restore registration, and around a minute or two later it told me I had
successfully activated the product registration - it handles this by sending a
message to some or other controlling server.

I will make sure it doesn't do something like stop talking after 10 minutes
like it would generally do in demo mode, and that it doesn't stop working after
10 days, along the lines of the other demo mode, but it seems alright, and
apart from the british voice, which I prefer since it's a little bit better at
pronouncing some things, the only thing have tested so far is that it will in
fact now read things on the screen of ovi maps, including current location, etc.

I honestly don't know exactly which versions of talks you are actually allowed
to upgrade from, and am pretty sure I didn't have premium since just got it via
vodacom, but the following is a small extraction from the release notes text
file:
---
Version 5.20 is a free upgrade for all Premium Edition licenses generated after
November 13th, 2007 (the release date of TALKS 3.50 for 3rd Edition). In
particular, this means that it can be installed by any customer who is
currently able to run version 4.11 or 5.01 without requiring a new license.
---

I did previously have version 5.00.3 on my N86 FWIW, but anyway.

It also includes the install file for daisy2go, but this won't work on my phone
since I don't have the premium version of talks - tried it and it told me so.

Will lastly provide you the link for the page on which I got the download link,
but, I am not going to tell anyone they should/should not try this since, quite
possible my phone will just stop talking sometime soon, and I would then have
to get some sighted help to then uninstall talks, and then try reinstall the
original version, etc., but I am trying my luck...LOL!

The link for that page is:
http://www.blindsea.com/content/mobile-screen-readers

On that page, I chose the link labeled as follows:
Latest version of talks version 5.20.3

It then downloaded the zip file with everything in it, including language
install files for both us and british english eloquence engines, talks install
file, manuals etc.