[blindza] Re: [Physical] The.Sponge Newsletter for May 2010

Hi Michael,
Thank you for your contribution - I see that you have copied to Reinette's
private email so I will go a bit further and copy this to the Rehab list,
BLINDZA, Nap-blind and Nap-deaf in order to stimulate a wider discussion..
Unfortunately, the formal recognition you mention has not put much food on the
table, or bottoms into classrooms.
My experience from interacting directly with disabled people in communities
around Port Elizabeth and with others in communities in other parts of South
Africa (through The.Sponge project), is that even 16 years after RDP, most have
no idea of their rights and consequently have no expectations.
Maybe that is why they do not fight back when society continues to marginalize
their priorities.
I read (in English) a lot of official documents and they all seem to take great
pains to be politically correct, expending more effort on that than on getting
the policies actually implemented.

As only 8% of our population are English-speaking and 13% are
Afrikaans-speaking, perhaps someone can comment on the difference between
'disabled person' and 'person with a disability' when you tabulate translations
into the other 9 official languages, and by sign language.
I rest my case.
Now we are probably both in trouble and must await further contributions.
Regards
Tony
    From: Tony Webb
focusedonaccessibility for users with physical disabilities.