[blindza] Re: Landmarks on Google

  • From: Dewald van Deventer <dewaldvandeventer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 21:37:14 +0200

Hi, i just went to Google and here is what it do:

The page is devide into small sections by headings.
Landmarks is like big headings.

Like in Google, there is a search landmark, where you can search;

main landmark
Your search results, with all the headings underneeth;

navigation landmark
The types of searches, books, video's, etc.

search landmark

main landmark

Content info landmark
Well, just what it says, the info of all the contents of the page,
like the links to the pages of the search, with the number of the
pages listed.

Regards,
Dewald.

Dewald Louwrens van Deventer (Piano teacher, GNLD Product Distributer)
Cell: +2782-461-4865
Fax: +2786-517-8331
E-mail: <dewaldvandeventer@xxxxxxxxx>
Skypename: <dewie007>

Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from
the eyes of woman.
Ludwig Van Beethoven

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is
impossible to be silent.
Victor Hugo

On 5/12/10, Jacob Kruger <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The following is an excerpt from the current jaws help file:
> "The INSERT+CTRL+SEMICOLON keystroke now supports the function Select a
> Landmark. Landmarks are ARIA tags that define the structure of a Web page.
> This functionality provides useful information to a JAWS user when he or she
> navigates pages that support ARIA landmark tags. Web content creators add
> these tags to their pages. JAWS 10 and later can announce Web page landmarks
> when using Firefox 3 and later. Landmark support will be available in
> Internet Explorer 8 when it is officially released."
>
> A heading is a much older HTML element, so it seems they're not really
> related except that headings have always been used to somewhat structure the
> content of webpages, but these landmarks are a newish thing.
>
> Stay well
>
> Jacob Kruger
> Blind Biker
> Skype: BlindZA