[blindza] Initial TextScout testing

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "NAPSA Blind" <blind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 22:36:06 +0200

Ok

Was just testing that TextScout mobile phone software and comparing it to my KNFB Reader classic (PDA version) now, and must say am quite impressed.

With the KNFB Reader it really comes down to aiming, surfaces and lighting, but just trying out both of them on a bill/letter from someone, using same aiming, lighting conditions/environment, the TextScout software actually read the pages better, and when I then tested it on a local newspaper which didn't seem to be in a very good condition at all, they both read it about the same.

Will just carry on trying to compare the 2 of them on things like product labels, menus etc. in the rest of the 2 week demo period of the TextScout software, but am also just wondering how much it will actually cost since there doesn't seem to be any pricing info on their website, but if you look at the article/write up about them being at the conference in the UK, it almost seems like they'd be asking something like around GBP700 - and for that price, no thanks, and this would also require data transmission costs for use, and would also rely on their server etc. to be online - which is alright, but the initial price is a bit high - my opinion anyway... (suppose also because already have a KNFB Reader classic - would just like to compare this new one to the KNFB Reader mobile phone version as well)

Other minor thing would be that with both this and the KNFB reader mobile version, you're meant to put polarisers on your phone's camera lens, and not sure how that would affect normal photo taking...?

database 4326 (20090811) __________

http://www.eset.com

---
The 'homepage' for this list is at http://www.blindza.co.za