[blindza] Fw: Sports carnival for the blind

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BlindZA" <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 09:32:51 +0200

Sounds like a really nice thing.

The Malaysia Star, Malaysia

Monday July 6, 2009
Sports carnival for the blind
By NG MIN XI

THE first ever sports carnival for the blind, involving six events, will be held in Kuala Lumpur on
July 11 and 12.
The checkers, chess, darts, and scrabble competitions will take place at Bukit Kiara Sports Complex
while bowling will be played at the Berjaya Times Square.
The table tennis competition will be held at the Malaysia Association for the Blind (MAB) Complex in
Brickfields.
This event is organised by the Society of the Blind Malaysia (SBM) to show that the blind can
participate in competitive games.
SBM president Mah Hassan has invited the public to watch the events.
“I believe that if people see how we can play these games, they will understand us better. We play chess by memory and hearing. The table tennis ball has a ball bearing in it so that we can hear it
better,” said Mah.
“We may be slower than the average player but we can still do it. I even managed to qualify for my
university’s chess team a long time ago,” said Mah.
The carnival, he added, was also a cry to the government to provide more outlets for the blind to
take part in.
“Besides giving an opportunity for the blind to take part in sports, I would like to urge the government to provide more venues for the blind to be active in sports,” he said.
Mah said the Paralympics were for the highly competitive athletes.
“That leaves out other disabled people. We hope that regular organisation of similar events can be
done by the government,” he said.

SOURCE

http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file=/2009/7/6/central/4244474&sec=central

database 4313 (20090806) __________