[blindza] Re: Fw: Engineering advances paving way for artificial vision progress

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 10:31:53 +0200

FWIW, I was actually over there in the UK in 2006 and came to see Hratch oGali from a place called the mind clinic there in London.

He literally does things like acupuncture, meditation, energy use etc. to stimulate nerve regeneration in physically disabled guys mostly, but also sometimes for guys like us.

Along the lines of this, in the month and a half that I was there, although before that I had literally seen nothing but gray in front of me, I now am always seeing vague shapes, but with no colours, no details, and if I, for example, turn my head, the move with it and then drift back. Also, he was at a stage testing me by putting different colour sunglasses on my face, and although I didn't actually see anything as such (in the normal sense), I was getting the colour right around 80% of the time.

Anyway, along the lines of this version of vision that he got going, a guy called a neuropthalmologist that side said it was basically just my brain now building virtual imagery based on what it already knew, or heard etc. etc., but there have been at least two incidents where I couldn't have known anything, but still 'saw' something.

The one was when walking down a corridor with someone, but they got distracted by something, and I literally took around another 5 steps since I thought I knew where I was, but suddenly saw a shape in front of me, and it was in fact a wall/doorway thing that I couldn't have known about in any way, and the more 'corny' one was sitting in a bar with a bit of background noise, and I put my cigarette lighter down on the left of my beer, but when I next wanted to light a smoke, I automatically picked it up on the right hand side before 'remembering' where I had actually left it. Now, the doctors would most likely say that I had heard someone putting it back down, but like I said, background noise, and my hearing aids don't do too well in that sort of environment, and I had literally seen a very vague shape where the lighter was now lying.

Anyway, along the lines of all this, I have in fact been to see another alternative person this side - someone who does a form of energy balancing therapy/meditation/healing process called Reiki where you lie on a table and they literally tell you to think about certain things while they do a form of meditative, energy stimulation therapy.

Anyway, this person reckons I have relatively high energy levels (which I was also told by Hratch), and that I'm implementing a form of intuitive vision.

That again has two sides in terms of where it might be almost a form of ESP or else more along the lines of what that neuropthalmologist was saying, and also what we're trying to implement using things like the vOICe - almost an alternative sensory perception as such.

Hope this all makes sense

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Chatten-Smith" <davechsmith@xxxxxxxxxxx>