[blindza] Fw:

  • From: "Carl de Campos" <carldc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 07:01:18 -0800

Hi lists, here's an account from Dean du Plessis, blind cricket commentator from Zimbabwe, on his first trip to Bangladesh. Let's see if we can't support him in any way by getting some of our local media interested in his commentating work.

Thanks / Regards
Carl de Campos
E-Mail:  carldc@xxxxxxxxxx
Cell:  072 486 8506
Skype:  carl.de.campos
Personal Web Site:
http://carldc.net

=
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dean" <deanduplessis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "Adie" <albroadway@xxxxxxxxxx>; "Allan Russel" <Allan.Russell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Amy Johnson" <avj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <Bluebu>
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:40 PM

bble <bluebubble@xxxxxxxxx>, Bruce Millar <millar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Carl De ca
mpos <carldc@xxxxxxxxxx>, Colleen Hardy <chardy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Deidre
 <15372308@xxxxxxxxx>, Elana Afrika <elana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Enok
 <enockmuchinjo@xxxxxxxxx>, Eric <ericwillers@xxxxxxxxx>, Gareth Ackerman
 <gareth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jo Parsons <jo.parsons@xxxxxxxxx>, Gav
<gbutler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Joelene <gerard.joelene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jo Van t
onder <jovantonderzim@xxxxxxxxx>, Kath <k.ogston@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Kev
 <dorite@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Laura work <laura@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Leigh Bennie
 <LeeB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michele Browne <Michele.Browne@xxxxxx>
Subject: greetings!
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 22:35:08 +0200

Hello there everybody, you may or may not know that i had the pleasure of = going to bangladesh to commentate on zimbabwe playing bangladesh in 5 1 day =
internationals. =20

Our trip started on october 20 and i got back wednesday november 11.  =

This was my first trip out of africa and it was an experience i will =
treasure for the rest of my life. =20

We arrived in dhaka bangladesh on wednesday 21 october and were greeted by = people that hung flowers around our necks. This apparently is a tradition =
the bangla people do when new comers visit their country. =20

The first thing that struck me was the over powering smell of sewage, the =
traffick that was beyond hectic, and the gentleness and kindness of the =
people of bangladesh. =20

My first breakfast was quite a storie. Everybody was taken aback by this =
strange blind dood making his way in to their dining room. =20

Needless to say they fell over each other to help me. The guy serving me =
refused to let me eat by my self. =20

He sat opposit me and i had the feeling that his eyes never left my face as =
i plowed my way through disgusting beef sausages and all sorts of other =
things they gave me. =20

The funny part was when i started eating my french toast.  As i was =
bringing the slice up to my mouth, the silly bugger grabbed my wrist and =
dumped a heap of lumpy jan on to the toast. =20

Matters were further complicated when i opened my mouth to ask him what he = was doing. He obviously took this as an invitation to shove the toast and = half my hand half way down my throat which left me with all over my face =
accept my mouth. =20

The traffick was amazing! Here we hoot and stop. In bangladesh they hoot =
and go which made me realise how lucky i am to be blind. =20

The food was nice but very spicy and i was greatful that i remembered to =
take lots of amodiam with me. =20

While i was there, i was interviewed by 3 local tv stations and 2 local =
news papers about how i do my commentery.  This was very nice because i =
need all the exposure i can get if i want to 1 day leave this dump and =
become a full time commentator/reporter/presenter. =20

The problem that i encountered was that allot of people recognised me and =
when they saw me they would touch my face and shout blind commentator!  =

Or somebody would simply jump between me and who ever was leading me and =
take a photo of me. =20

The commentating side of things was very nice and i was greatful to be =
given a chance to show my skills to the sub continent.  =20

When we went shopping, we went in a tuk tuk which is a sort of cage thing =
on top of a 3 wheeler. =20

Every time we took a corner, it felt like we would tip over at any moment. = We drove so close to the cars that even i was able to reach out and touch =
them. =20

The cricket was very disappointing as our batsman simply had no idea on how = to play the bangladesh spin attack as we lost the series by 4 games to 1. =

On the fifth and final game, i was taken by surprise when at the lunch =
brake a whole lot of dignitvery's came too introduce them selves too me. =

These people were from the bangladesh cricket bord and they presented me =
with an award for services to cricket and for over coming the so called =
obstacles that have come my way. =20

I was humbled by this kind gesture and it made me realise that there are =
people out there that listen and watch and take note of what i do.  =

We we then flew to johburg where we played south africa in 2 1 day =
internationals and once again were given a lessen on how to play cricket. =

The sa leg of our trip started off on a bad note as half our luggage went =
missing between dubai and johburg. =20

We landed in johburg on friday the sixth and i only got my case on the =
monday. And as i had no other clothes, my laundry bill was rather high. =

I hope you enjoyed my account of this trip but i think my day's at zim =
cricket might be numbered before they started as i was unable to do all the =
work they wanted me too. =20

They wanted written content and i was unable to give it to them because of =
people not wanting to help me send emails back home so time will tell.  =

I hope i didnt core you too much? =20

Kind regards. =20

Dean.

---