[blindreplay] Re: Your comments needed on Replay AV 8

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindreplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 06:45:06 -0500 (EST)

Pam and all

There is something else here at play also.  While the point about the
Braille displays and how various countries view the issue of adaptive
equipment is very much on target, different users have widely differing
It seems to me, in reading his msgs, that his performance expectations
perhaps far exceed those of many of us which will lead to how one will
view what's in the marketplace.
We see this kind of thing over and over as we read various email lists.
Some users live and accept the natural shortcomings of software, adaptive
equipment, screen readers, and all the rest.
Others insist that everything be perfect, never fail, require absolute
perfect accessability (whatever that means), and the like.
Most of us fall somewhere in the middle realizing the limitations at play
and that both software and hardware will not always work satisfactorily
100% of the time due to circumstances beyond anyone's control and the
myriad of factors at play.
As a
RAV example, if a stream has a problem, there is no way RAV can record it
If my internet connection fails for whatever reason, RAV will fail in
recording a show in the way I want it.
Same goes for the inherent peculiarities of Windows (sometimes the pc just
won't wake up at the appropriate time), I loose electrical power, the ISP
is doing maintenance at 4 AM in the morning believing that this is the
time fewest folks will be inconvenienced, etc.
Yet, while these problems are momentarily annoying, I don't blame Applian,
GW Micro, HP, Access Solutions, Comcast, MSFT, and the myriad of players
that give me what I want from my pc experience the vast majority of the
Hickups can and will occur; and part of becoming an advanced pc user is
recognizing these things and working around them.
As an example, for some nationally or internationally distributed shows, I
will schedule a 2nd or perhaps a 3rd recording with RAV in the event the
primary recording fails partly or totally.
Some might argue that this ought not to be necessary, and perhaps it ought
not, but the prudent approach is to learn to live with what is rather than
dreaming what isn't and not accepting the reality of things.
We can aim for better, but we must also accept the what is.
As I grow older, I more and more am seeing this as a necessity where, by
contrast, 3 decades ago I would lash out for perfection without, at least
for the moment, accepting what happens to be.