[blindreplay] Yahoo Petition for Captcha fix

  • From: <petrakigianos-giasou@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindreplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:45:32 -0700 (PDT)

We ask all of you to review and sign the Yahoo's Accessibility
Improvement Petition at

 asking the company to make an audio alternative to its CAPTCHA
available so that the blind and visually impaired will be
permitted timely access to the
same services as those already granted the sighted. The use of a
telephone callback scheme is totally insufficient as it does not
grant the same level
of instant access as the sighted and Yahoo personnel
do not consistently make contact in a timely manner. It is our
ongoing contention that visual only CAPTCHA schemes without at
least an accessible audio
alternative represent "No Blind People Allowed" signs in much
the same way as African-Americans were deliberately denied entry
to restaurants and other
similar public accomodations in the era of segregation. We ask
Yahoo to simply fix their grievous error by promptly adding an
audio CAPTCHA to all its
properties as soon as possible as part of the company's ongoing
accessibility initiatives.

Darrell Shandrow - Accessibility Evangelist
Information should be accessible to us without need of
translation by another person.
Blind Access Journal blog and podcast:
Check out high quality telecommunications services at