[blindreplay] Re: Stream URLs Exchange list

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindreplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 20:15:14 -0500 (EST)

Petro

Yes, I *most definitely* am a fan of investment-related show -- my url
postings give that away <grin>!!

It never ceases to amaze me what is able to find on the net be it audio
related or other.
As a youngster in the early and mid 1960s, I fantasized of having a long
wire antenna that reached from Chicago to L.A. to listen to radio from
that area which, for whatever real or imagined, I perceived to be
fantastic.
Little did I know that one day this fantasy would be even better than I
could have ever dreamed as I can today listen to stations not only tunable
in Chicago and L.A., but almost anywhere else you might perceive -- in
perfect clarity to boot.
We moved from the Chicago are to rural western Illinois about 7 or so
years back, and I honestly have to say, with all the streaming, I feel
just as in tune to what I want to hear on the Chicago airwaves as I did in
1999.
And thanks to the net, my radio universe is now only Illinois but the rest
of the U.S. and even some of the abroad.
And today, it is as likely that I will tune in something from
Jacksonville, Nashville, Atlanta, Houston, Brooksville, FL, Dickinson, Nd
as it might be from something from Chicago, Milwaukee, Peoria or the Quad
Cities.
And having a tool such as RAV allows me to listen to whatever I want when
it works for me.

And oh yes, speaking of memories, one of the things I had yearned for,
back in the AM dxing days of the 1960s, was to listen to the Grand Ole
Opry in perfect clarity.
Well, I got that dream fulfilled in the early 1990s when my wife had a
girlfriend who moved to the Antioch area of Nashville and we visited 4 or
5 times a year -- we had even considered moving there and had gotten as
close as putting in a bid on a home which fell through.
Now, I can tune into the Opry any Friday or Saturday night, if I so chose,
and hear WSM sounding better than some of our locals.
And, I suppose, thanks to time shifting, if I had bothered to make the
recordings, I could do this right now (oh yes, for a price, I can get at
the WSMonLine archives).

I truly have to pinch myself what the net has opened up to all of us.  It
is just a shame  that more blind people aren't taking advantage of this
information explosion and seemingly limiting themselves to the email side
of the equation.