[blindreplay] Salem Media Stations, Stream_Audio, and the URL Finder

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindreplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 12:41:13 -0400 (EDT)

The Salem Media Group of stations appears to be yet another example of an
ownership group adopting a form model url structure.

Here are several examples of their stations and their urls:

wind, Chicago, IL -- Intelligent Talk (conservative hosts) AM 560
mms://uni1.salem.streamaudio.com/WIND_AM

wyll, Chicago, AM 1160 -- religious ministries
mms://uni1.salem.streamaudio.com/wyll

worl, Altamont Springs-Orlando, FL,  newstalk, AM 660
mms://uni1.salem.streamaudio.com/Worl_AM

wmca, New York City, AM 570 religious ministries
mms://uni1.salem.streamaudio.com/Wmca_AM

kgu, Honolulu, HI -- religious teaching ministries -- am 760
mms://uni1.salem.streamaudio.com/kgu_A

kgmz, aiea-Honolulu, hi, good time oldies fm 107.9
mms://uni1.salem.streamaudio.com/kgmz_fM

Note where the station call letters and the broadcast band designator appears
within the url.
 The above have been verified to tune and record within RAV.

Outside of RAV, as indicated by their url prefix, these are all WMP stations.

What's even more interesting is that I uncovered this thanks to RAV's url
finder found in the program's tools menu.

Last evening, I, following the rain out of the Baltimore Orioles-Chicago
WhiteSox game, decided to catch the end of the Arena Football League game
between the Chicago Rush and the Colorado team.
As WSCR had priorly committed to the SOX game, they farmed out their broadcast
rights to WIND which has become a back-up station for Chicagoland CBS sports
since WCKG switched from a talk to contemporary music format late last year.

I found the following nurl for WIND

http://www.streamaudio.com/stations/player/pages/index.asp?headertext=WIND_AM&Station=WIND_AM&Optin=no

obtained from the database of

http://streamingradioguide.com

which is one of my current favorite sources of stream info.

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see if RAV could handle it.  Well, it couldn't
record the stream so I decided to let the urlfinder do its thing.

The UF actually found for
urls embedded in the above.

I decided to begin the testing with

mms://uni1.salem.streamaudio.com/WIND_AM

and, with luck on my side, this one immediately tuned and recorded.
Noticing the call letters and radio band at url's end, the next thing was to
see if this might work for other Salem stations.

And it did as represented by the examples displayed above.

 for those of you who bothered reading to this point, here is another golden
nugget as your reward.
Notice also that call letters and broadcast band appear twice in that long
convoluted Stream audio url.

I haven't done extensive testing with this, but, as the Stream Audio plug-in
player is used widely, this may prove valuable for locating streams for such
stations.  So far, it did work for WSB Atlanta
(am 750) along with WOKV Jacksonville (am 690).
 Note that I didn't test this with RAV and will leave it to others to take it
this next step if they so choose.
Just remember that the Stream Audio url for WIND, before UrlFinder decompiling,
failed to record and the working URL I happen to have in RAV for WOKV is

http://www.streamaudio.com/stations/asx/wokv_am.asx

           Mike