[blindreplay] Re: Replay Media Guide Suggestion/Feedback/Idea

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindreplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 07:26:21 -0500 (EST)

Robin

Doing so might literally mean hundreds of emails weekly.  Urls change all
of the time; stations come and go:
podcasts come and go; podcasts change providers; take this from someone
who has watched and monitored and attempted to stay on top of these kinds
of things for the last 8 years:
no one database, individual, entity can possibly remain totally abreast of
all this.
What is more important for individuals
is to learn how to uncover this info when it is needed -- be it something
you wish to listen for the first time or something no longer seems to
work.
Personally, rather than receiving a ton of emails, I much rather would
prefer seeing a page where each change would automatically appear at the
top of the listings and incrementally move lower as new additions made the
page.
You wouldn't believe the number of such changes that routinely occur, and
how many folks it takes to attempt to keep this info somewhat up-to-date.
And, oh yes, we haven't even discussed how often stations tweek their
schedules adding new shows, shifting times of others, dropping shows,
jettisoning formats, and all the rest.
And as RAV is a time shifting recording piece of software, it not only
needs urls but when to use those links.
And with literally thousands of stations streaming and those stations
having up to 168 hours a week to program, and all sorts of entities
streaming and delivering podcasts, it is nearly impossible to even hope to
stay on top of this all.

As for just one example, yesterday I posted that
Lou Dobbs' nationally syndicated talk show was debuting and listed 2
stations that were presumably going to carry the program live and stream;
namely KNEW Oakland and WIMS Michigan City, IN.
Those stations will, in turn, do other shifting to block out those 3 hours
5 days a week for the show.
Coincidentally, and I mention this in reference to Dobbs, I was listening
to the stream yesterday of your local WZNZ and Andy Johnson's show when he
happened to mentioon that WZNZ would too be carrying Dobbs, but on a time
delayed basis -- 9 to midnight.  Well, if you were attempting to maintain
the database of program schedules for WZNZ, you would not only have to
add Dobbs in, but also shift the rebroadcast of Andy Johnson's show from
the Dobbs time block to midnight to 3 AM, cancel the listing of the Ed
Schultz rebroadcast which used to occupy that midnight time slot, and on
and on as WZNZ also just happened to add Thom Hartman (3 to 5 AM) and a
Beatles retrospective show on the weekends.
How any database can possibly expect to maintain this info and generate
notices without overwhelming folks is mindboggling.

On the Blindtech email list, periodically folks are looking for times when
Kim Komando's nationally syndicated computer show airs.  Well, there are
such listings collected on the net; but the problem is that often these
listings are either out-of-date or don't verify that the station actually
streams a given show.

My point is to suggest that the key element here is teaching folks how to
fish for themselves first and foremost and that supplying specific info is
a secondary concern for what may be valuable to you or me may be truly of
no interest to 99.99% of other people.
At the moment, I attempt to track such things for places like Chicago,
Peoria (il), the Quad Cities (il-ia), Jacksonville and a few other areas;
but I don't currently find much value in what is happening in Anchorage,
Halifax (NS), London England (or Ontario or Kentucky for that matter
<grin>!!, Texarkana TX-AR, Boston, whatever.
To someone from New England, Boston, Providence, Portland, Me might be of
special interest.
So what each of us should know is how to find that kind of stuff and only
look to the lists as secondary sources, rather than primary ones, for this
kind of thing.