[blindreplay] Braille user comments

  • From: <petrakigianos-giasou@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindreplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:07:41 -0800 (PST)

"Tore Johnny Bråtveit" <tjb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  Add Mobile Alert
Yahoo! DomainKeys has confirmed that this message was sent by
yahoogroups.com. Learn more
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 23:47:12 +0100
Subject: Re: Replay A/V 8 first impressions
    Petro and all,

Thank you for your update. I am quite surprised that nobody has
tested Replay A/V using a Braille display until now. OK, I know
that Braille displays are less common in the US and various
other countries than they are here in Scandinavia, but
nevertheless this surprises me. On the other hand, in particular
Norway and Sweden might be exceptions from the majority of
countries when it comes to how common Braille displays are.
Here it is more the rule than the exception that if you are
blind and really can make use of a Braille display, you will get
one. For those able to read Braille reasonably well, speech is
considered a second-hand solution, mainly usable to give a
little extra information when the user does not want to move the
fingers away from the keyboard, or when viewing a complex web
page or a difficult program interface. I am personally somewhat
a "Braille extremist", as I rarely use the speech output in
JAWS. It is permanently turned off, and just turned on if I
really need it for some reason.

I should also add that 80 character Braille displays are common
here. Personally I have a 80 character Braille display here at
home, a similar one at work, and even a 40 character display
which I use along with my laptop computer. Only when it comes to
mobile phones, I have accepted to use speech output from the
screen reader - simply because I have no Braille display which
is small enough to be practical in use when on the move, and
also because I have no Braille display with bluetooth support.

Enough about the usage of Braille displays in Scandinavia,
though. But, I have no figures about how many per cent of blind
computer users worldwide who have access to a Braille display. I
have never seen such a figure.

To your other comments:
Yes, I understand how to activate the buttons. An issue is that
I cannot make the buttons visible on the display, even though I
have tried. Maybe JAWS 7.10 is not fully compatible with Replay
A/V 8. I do not know, but JAWS 7.10 is the latest JAWS version
currently available in this country. I have not bothered to
download any newer version either, since I have no license for
any version newer than 7.10.

You are right that it could seem to be a waste of disk space to
record files with bitrates like those I have mentioned. However,
I do often record a couple of minutes before and after the show
I want to listen to, simply because stations like BBC and others
may have minor delays in their program output now and then. And
since I schedule the recordings, I do not sit there to watch
that everything works like I expect it to do every day. This
means that I often need to edit my audio files afterwards, to
remove the unwanted material before and after the program I want
to save. Since most of the available audio file formats are
lossy, I know that I will loose something each time I recompress
a compressed audio file. Therefore I want to have the initial
file recorded at a high bitrate, to make sure that the audio
quality still is acceptable if or when I have to decompress the
file, edit it and compress it again. The initial file will of
course be deleted as soon as I have edited it and saved the
content I want to archive.

Tore Johnny