[blindeudora] Re: why I changed to outhouse explosion from Eudora

  • From: meadowlark77 <meadowlark77@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindeudora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 19:17:19 -0500

I've seen the EUDORA.INI, and have edited it to do certain things, but not in the security stuff. Now, that would really be interesting. I am definitely going to back up a copy of that file. There was something Ihad done one time, to make it look like I had two totally different accounts, which I did, but Ihad individual boxes and all. It wasn't through the filters or personalities.I had somehow made a shortcut to another Eudora.ini or something and it looked like two entirely different setups. I seem to have the instructions for that somewhere. It was pretty cool.

Take care,

Brenda

mailto:meadowlark77@xxxxxxxxx 11:31 AM 10/7/2011, you wrote:
all your Eudora settings are stored in your Eudora.ini file. It is always a good idea to keep a backup of your Eudora.ini file around.

you may find it intersting to open a copy ((Not your original one so that we don't need to worry about accidentally changing anything)of your Eudora.ini file in notepad. While it will take a bit of getting used to the way the .ini file is organized and how settings are stored, this is still a text file with humanly readable content and not purely computerese.

any setting that can be changed thru the Eudora gui - and actually a bunch more - can be edited directly in the Eudora.ini file once you know the syntax of how to do this and what to change. I am not suggesting you need to learn this but it is just intesting to see how the program stores its settings.

Several years ago, one of my email accounts required an obscure security setting that at the time was not doable thru the Eudora gui. Back then a friend of mine, who was not a Eudora user but used to run his own unix boxes and mail server on those, helped me with that eudora setting by manually editing my .ini file to accommodate that setting. I do not remember what the setting was except that it pertained to how Eudora logged into the mail server and authenticated. my friend was able to make the correct adjustment in the ini file without ever having seen Eudora. We just passed the file back and forth a couple of times till things were working correctly at my end.

Eudora may not be supported anymore but it is stil one of the most advanced email clients around and I am not going to give it up voluntarily. i wish that Qualcomm had made this original Eudora code open source to let people continue to support and develop the original Eudora rather than Monkeying around with the Thunderbird code.

Have fun exploring!

Doris

At 09:53 AM 10/7/2011 -0500, you wrote:
Will this change and al show up in the EUDORA.INI? I'm asking for a reason, because if it does, I will keep always a copy of that file and we'll always have the changes made, right?

Take care and thanks again. What fun!

Brenda

mailto:meadowlark77@xxxxxxxxx 02:01 AM 10/7/2011, you wrote:
Halleluja! *smile*

I think everyone on here is cheering with you and giving thanks. It is my experience that often members on a list and especialy on this list, with their combined knowledge and patience are far better than tech support.

I bought my first IBM compatible computer a little over 20 years ago and my husband and I have been into windows for a good 15. i have never ever in that time used official or some professional tech support. So never let anyone tell you it can't be done! Never believe that until you have tried for yourself and exhausted every available resource. and even then keep trying and looking!

NOw my personal advice is to keep notes on this so you can go back to it if you need to reformat or set up another computer and also to just review and learn.

Now, a friend, who is a Eudora veteran and on this list also, tells me I get a thrill out of solving this kind of thing. I don't claim any credit on this one but am just tickled that your problem got solved and that you have once again the choice of which program to use.

Cheers to this group and evryone on here and our tekkies in particular.

Cheers,

Doris

At 09:56 PM 10/6/2011 -0500, you wrote:
Hello Doris,

Well, guess what. I checked alternate submission port 587 and then in the pop3 I checked alternate port required and also the same alternate port required in the smtp and so far, so good. Alright, then. Maybe we got me up and running again.

Take care and to all who have helped me, I want to thank you guys.

Love y'all,

Brenda

mailto:meadowlark77@xxxxxxxxx 07:18 PM 10/6/2011, you wrote:
Just follow the instructions they give for Outlook and Outlook Express. OE is as outdated as Eudora is and if your email works with OE it should do so with Eudora. the servers, port settings and so on are the same no matter what pop3 email client you use. the only problem would be if your isp required a feature that eudora did not support but I don't think there have been that many advances over the last 5 years.

From the configuration instructions for oe and outlook, write down the relevant information such as mail server, port numbers, format of the user login name, etc. and just plop that info into your eudroa configuration. you should be able to use any email client you like.

hth

Doris

At 06:00 PM 10/6/2011 -0500, you wrote:
You got that right. Cox only supports Outlook Express--noting more, nothing less. They do have configuration settings for Outlook, but Outlook Express
is their baby and that's that. I can configure to port 587, but should I
also reconfigure the pop3 port and if so, to what?

Thanks,