[bct] Re: what kinds of things should be off list

  • From: "Reed Poynter" <Reed.Poynter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 07:50:09 -0800

From: blindcooltech-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: February 14, 2006 7:06 AM
To: Bct
Subject: [bct] what kinds of things should be off list

Well, I'm not the person to make the rules here, but I'll give you my 2
cents worth and you can do what you will with it.
This list was created to supplement information in podcasts on the APH site.
It has certainly gone far beyond that.  I'm not sure if that's good or bad.
I'll let Larry decide that one.  However, I agree with others that it is
becoming a social gathering for people who have things on their minds that
have nothing to do with podcasts on the site.  No, I don't think a way
around this is to make a podcast on creation science.  What I do think is
that some issues like religion have no place on this list because certain
list members have shown that they can not be open-minded and listen to what
others are saying.  There are probably lots of lists devoted to the subject
of religion and other social situations which would be a much better vehicle
for these kinds of discussions.  Also, if there is something that list
members want to continue a dialog about, they should take it off list and
invite people to join them.  Otherwise, the list becomes just another group
of blind people gathering to try to work out hard to deal with issues.
Don't get me wrong.  I do think this list has become more of a family to
many than other lists, because some of us admire and respect the opinions of
others on this list on a variety of topics.  I don't think that is bad
unless Larry wants to have the list more structured to podcast topics.
However, I do think people have to stop judging the opinions of others.  I
know, some people feel judged when that is not the intention of the writer.
This is especially true with regard to religion.  So, the bottom line for me
is that I will not continue to be on a list that deals with the subject of
religion.  I know, I can hit the delete key, but it goes deeper than that.
I do not want to be on a list of people who are constantly at other people's
throats because it influences other comments they make on the list as well
as the way in which they are perceived by others.
As I said, these are my own opinions, but I and others are free to join or
leave this list as they wish.  It would be a hard list to leave because
there is a lot of wisdom here, but I won't be sticking around for religious
ravings or even well thought out explanations, because, in my opinion, it
stretches the list far beyond what I want to deal with.
OK, I'm done.  I hope I am still here tomorrow.