[bct] what kinds of things should be off list

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bct" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:05:32 -0600

Well, I'm not the person to make the rules here, but I'll give you my 2
cents worth and you can do what you will with it.

This list was created to supplement information in podcasts on the APH
site.  It has certainly gone far beyond that.  I'm not sure if that's
good or bad.  I'll let Larry decide that one.  However, I agree with
others that it is becoming a social gathering for people who have things
on their minds that have nothing to do with podcasts on the site.  No, I
don't think a way around this is to make a podcast on creation science.
What I do think is that some issues like religion have no place on this
list because certain list members have shown that they can not be
open-minded and listen to what others are saying.  There are probably
lots of lists devoted to the subject of religion and other social
situations which would be a much better vehicle for these kinds of
discussions.  Also, if there is something that list members want to
continue a dialog about, they should take it off list and invite people
to join them.  Otherwise, the list becomes just another group of blind
people gathering to try to work out hard to deal with issues.  Don't get
me wrong.  I do think this list has become more of a family to many than
other lists, because some of us admire and respect the opinions of
others on this list on a variety of topics.  I don't think that is bad
unless Larry wants to have the list more structured to podcast topics.
However, I do think people have to stop judging the opinions of others.
I know, some people feel judged when that is not the intention of the
writer.  This is especially true with regard to religion.  So, the
bottom line for me is that I will not continue to be on a list that
deals with the subject of religion.  I know, I can hit the delete key,
but it goes deeper than that.  I do not want to be on a list of people
who are constantly at other people's throats because it influences other
comments they make on the list as well as the way in which they are
perceived by others.

As I said, these are my own opinions, but I and others are free to join
or leave this list as they wish.  It would be a hard list to leave
because there is a lot of wisdom here, but I won't be sticking around
for religious ravings or even well thought out explanations, because, in
my opinion, it stretches the list far beyond what I want to deal with.

OK, I'm done.  I hope I am still here tomorrow.

Neal