[bct] Re: weight control and loss.

  • From: Slythy_Tove <mcg907@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:04:41 -0800 (PST)

As long as one is healthy then a bit of extra weight is not a problem.
However, when there are problems like diabetes to contend with then the weight
becomes an issue because abdominal obesity contributes to insulin resistance
and contributes to Type II diabetes, more is the pity.

Bernstein points out that obesity runs in families and we can thank the thrifty
gene for that - our ancestors developed the ability to pack on weight and
survive famines.  Most of the West does not have a problem with famine now - we
have a problem with too much food.  I used to have a book on the thrifty gene
written by some geneticists, but I probably got rid of it during a move as I
sure don't have it any more.

I have had blood sugar problems since my teens - first hypoglycemia and then
hypergylcemia.  I used to be very active, though, so I was pretty slender.  It
was not until after I had my daughter that I started having real problems with
weight, but I still managed to keep it in check with pretty radical calorie
deprivation and keeping my carb count under control.  When the low-fat fad came
along and I finally caved in to it my body went YES!!  Feed me more of that
stuff!  And I gained weight rapidly.

Now I have to fight for every ounce to come off and the longer it takes the
more damage the diabetes does to every part of my body.

I admit to longing for a cookie now and then - and sometimes I break down and
have something and then wonder why I did it because it really wasn't as good as
my anticipation of it.  Which says something about how cravings work.  About
the only thing that is always good is chocolate.  (smile)

I've been looking at the Bernstein diet again and sort of cringing at the
scarcity in it, but I suppose I will (when I can shop again) start putting
together a list and starting a menu and seeing if I can stick to something as
very spartan as is required.  The problem with being a Type II is that if I
cheat I don't go into coma and almost die - so it is not the same sort of
pressure that a Type I faces.

I admit to being a picky eater.  Add to that my limitations in what I can eat
and there are times I'd rather not eat at all and just be hungry than bother
with what I can eat.  I'd rather not eat a tortilla than eat a low-carb one
because they are really wretched.  I'll make a cheese tortilla out of melted
cheddar for a taco shell first.